This story is special, because the tots were inspired by a trip I took for work that has easily been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I was invited to help work X Games, and I can't even describe the admiration I have for everyone who works at these events. It's insane, and they treated me that I had been working side-by-side with them for years, not days.
Working in digital and social content during a live event typically means you eat what you can get. The action doesn't stop and neither do we. But luckily for us, there was a restaurant in the hotel we were based in, and they had these rosemary tots I'll never let go of. They were simple, yet delicious. And even though their version was fried, I knew I could get a healthier alternative at home. So naturally, that's what I did.
Tots aren't hard to find in the grocery store, and they're grossly underrated. At my local Whole Foods, a 16 oz. bag is roughly $2.50, which is a steal considering the ingredient list is one that I can appreciate. After that, all you need are some fresh herbs, salt and pepper. And you can change the ratio all you want. But I love how aromatic the herbs smell in this combination. One of the crucial things to remember about tots, like any potato, is the need for salt. If this dose makes you uncomfortable, you can lessen it. But I think you should trust me, like I trusted my friends at Home Team BBQ in Aspen.
Perfectly Delicious Herb Tots
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 35-40 minutes | Yield: 4-5 servings
- 1 16 oz. bag tater tots (or tater puffs)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh
- 1 tsp + 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Bake the tots according to package instructions. (35-40 minutes, until crispy on the outside)
- While they cook, finely chop herbs and mix them in a bowl with 2 tsp salt and pepper.
- As soon as the tots come out of the oven, lightly toss in 1 tsp salt.
- Let potatoes sit for 2 minutes, then toss them in a large mixing bowl with herb mixture.
- Drizzle with olive oil and serve hot.